I am an E&E engineering PhD student at Stellenbosch University. I post about deep learning, electronics, and other things I find interesting.
Publications & Resources
- Voice Conversion With Just Nearest Neighbors
M. Baas, B. van Niekerk, H. Kamper. Accepted for publication in Proceedings of Interspeech, 2023. [arXiv, code and model checkpoints]
- TransFusion: Transcribing Speech with Multinomial Diffusion
M. Baas, K. Eloff, H. Kamper. In Proceedings of SACAIR, 2022. [arXiv, code and model checkpoints]
- GAN You Hear Me? Reclaiming Unconditional Speech Synthesis from Diffusion Models
M. Baas, H. Kamper. In Proceedings of the IEEE SLT Workshop, 2022. [arXiv, audio demo, code and model checkpoints]
- Voice Conversion Can Improve ASR in Very Low-Resource Settings
M. Baas, H. Kamper. In Proceedings of Interspeech, 2022. [arXiv, audio sample website]
- A Comparison of Discrete and Soft Speech Units for Improved Voice Conversion
B. van Niekerk, M.A. Carbonneau, J. Zaïdi, M. Baas, H. Seuté, H. Kamper. In Proceedings of IEEE ICASSP, 2022. [arXiv]
- Analyzing Speaker Information in Self-Supervised Models to Improve Zero-Resource Speech Processing
B. van Niekerk, L. Nortje, M. Baas, and H. Kamper. In Proceedings of Interspeech, 2021. [arXiv]
- StarGAN-ZSVC: Towards Zero-Shot Voice Conversion in Low-Resource Contexts
M. Baas, H. Kamper. In Proceedings of the Southern African Conference for AI Research (SACAIR), 2020. [bibtex, arXiv, demo website and pretrained models]
- [Student poster] Genetic Algorithms and Competitive Self-Play in Training Deep
Neural Networks Agents
M. Baas. At Deep Learning Indaba poster session, Stellenbosch, 2019.
Competition results published at conferences are also included here.
- Winning artwork for Zindi AI in Art Competition
M. Baas. AI Expo Africa, 2019. [Zindi announcement, AI Expo Africa links (1, 2)]
- 3rd place in Zindi Farm Pin Crop Detection Challence
M. Baas. Zindi Competition Platform, 2019.
- 2nd place in Uber SANRAL Cape Town Hackathon
K. Eloff, M. Baas, R. Seebregts. At the Stellenbosch LaunchLab Data Science Hackathon with Zindi, 2019.
- 2nd place in Zindi Yassir ETA prediction Challenge
M. Baas, K. Eloff, G. Frost, Zindi Competition Platform, 2020.
- 3rd place in Zindi: Automatic Speech Recognition in WOLOF Challenge
G. Frost, M. Baas, K. Eloff. Zindi Competition Platform, 2021.
- 1st place in LifeQ Cardiac Arrhythmias Prediction Challenge
M. Baas, Zindi Competition Platform, 2021.
- 1st place in CapeAI Autonomous Shopper Prediction Challenge
G. Frost, K. Eloff, M. Baas. IndabaX South Africa, 2021.